Rete civica del Comune di Firenze
Versione italiano Italiano English Version English Deutsch Version Deutsch Version française Française Versión en español Español
Tuesday 17 July 2018
Rete Civica » HOME » Museo di Santa Maria Novella » Ubriachi Chapel

Ubriachi Chapel

This chapel was once a chapel of the patronage of the Florentine family named Ubriachi, whose access to it was only through the Great Cloister, through the door on the right of the present day entrance. Built between the fifth and seventh decades of the 14th century, at the expense of Baldassare Ubriachi, it was dedicated to the Three Magi, and it had an altar in the space of the arch of the western wall. This antique patronage is still visibly documented today by the numerous versions of the coat of arms of the family Ubriachi – a goose passing by with its wing burdened by a cross – which can be seen on the tombstone in the centre of the floor, on the eastern wall, on the capitals of the corner pillars and on the keystone.
Between 1467 and 1785, the chapel was the seat of the Compagnia dei Santi Innocenti [Company of the Innocent Saints] and therefore, its name became the Capitolo del Nocentino [the Chapterhouse of the Innocents].
 
Since 1983, it has become a museum exhibiting works of art and sacred furnishings coming from other areas of the monumental complex of Santa Maria Novella.
Its two detached sinopites in front of the entrance come from the east wall of the Green Cloister. They are the sinopites of the fresco by Paolo Uccello (Pratovecchio 1397 - Florence 1475), dating back to the third-fourth decade of the 15th century; they are the beginning of the cycle of the Stories of Genesis of the Green Cloister with the Creation of the Animals and the Creation of Adam (in the upper part) and the Creation of Eve and the original sin (in the lower part)
The detached frescoes distributed on the other walls, depicting thirty-five Busts of Prophets and Saints and a fragment of a decorative band, come originally from the groins of the vault of the Cappella Maggiore of the church. They are the only fragments that have survived from the work by Andrea Orcagna (Florence 1320–1368) and his assistants, dating to the years preceding the middle of the 14th century, that decorated the chapel before the moment when, at the end of the 15th century, Domenico Ghirlandaio and his workshop painted their Stories of the Virgin and of St. John the Baptist that we can still see today.
In glass cabinets, a selection of the most ancient liturgical furnishings of the Church of Santa Maria Novella is exhibited.

città di firenze
Comune di Firenze
Palazzo Vecchio, Piazza della Signoria
50122 FIRENZE
P.IVA 01307110484
Privacy
Note Legali
Accessibilità
Licenza Creative Commons

Amministrazione Trasparente: I dati personali pubblicati sono riutilizzabili solo alle condizioni previste dalla direttiva comunitaria 2003/98/CE e dal d.lgs. 36/2006